[EM] Kevin, you wrote on 4 Oct '03

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Oct 17 14:11:11 PDT 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 05:10:54 -0400 Donald Davison wrote:

> Kevin, you wrote: "Donald, would you support IRV with equal-ranking
> permitted, for the case that I have two first-choices and am willing to go
> with whichever one has more support from other voters?"
>
> Donald here:  It is not clear as to how much of a vote each rank will be
> receiving.
>
>   * If each rank receives one half, then the results of the election will
> be the same as if you ranked any one of the two as first and the other
> second, so, in which case splitting your vote is not necessary, it merely
> makes the math of the method more complicated.

Here if Tom and Dick each vote A=B, we get to the same destination as for
votes of A>B and B>A.  I see this scoring as reasonable.

>   * But, I suspect that you may mean to give each rank a full vote, both of
> which will be included in the first count.  In which case I do not support
> equal-ranking, for it is merely a complicated mix of Approval Voting and
> Irving.

Here if Tom votes A=B, he has as much power as if he became twins, voting
A>B and B>A, giving these two an edge over other candidates.

> If you wish to vote as in Approval, all you need to do in any Irving
> election is to rank any one of your two candidates as first choice and the
> other as second.  Your vote will end up on whichever candidate has more
> support from other voters, which is your wish.  Do the math.

EXCEPT, IRV only looks at one of your choices at a time.  Try 10 A>Z, 9
B>Z, 8 C>Z, and 7 D>Z - I see 34 agreeing that Z is acceptable, A being
second, for 10 see A as acceptable, and A winning in IRV.

> If an Approval voter truly regards two candidates as being equal, it will
> not matter which is ranked first or second in an Irving election, they both
> will have an equal chance to lead the other.  The difference will be
> determined by how the other voters treat the two candidates.
>
> You seem to be trying to make something complicated when it does not need
> to be complicated.

Are you sure?

> Donald,

                  If you want peace, work for justice.