[EM] Question about a news report and nomenclature

Paul Kislanko jpkislanko at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 15 20:17:39 PDT 2003

Did anybody hear the (US) National Public Radio report this past week that discussed San Francisco's implementation of IRV? I can't find it in their archives, and I'm not sure if I heard it on Morning Edition or All Things Considered.

In any case, they called it "Instant Run-off" but when they described the method it sounded to me what this list would call Single Transferable Vote - (the ballots whose 1st place candidate receives the fewest first place votes in the first counting are treated as if the second place candidate was ranked first in the second round, and so on).

If that is what IRV is, what is the difference between IRV and STV?

Paul