[EM] Re: Approval Strategy A- Question for Rob LeGrand

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon Nov 24 17:05:26 PST 2003

David,

 --- Dgamble997 at aol.com a écrit :
> Kevin Venzke wrote:
>
> >Are you looking to show that Plurality, for example, is more likely to be
> >proportional
> >than Condorcet? Random Ballot is easily more proportional than that. Better
> >yet,
> >put a PR method in your model.
>
> The one thing the model has demonstrated clearly than anything else is the
> truth of what myself and a number of other people on the list have been saying
> for a long time - an assembly made up of single seats can be proportional only
> by chance.

I don't recall anyone disputing this, though.

I would guess that any single-winner method which produces proportional results
on the whole, is actually producing garbage results, if you focus on any particular
district.  Consider Random Ballot to see what I'm getting at.

> Which single seat method you use can have a considerable effect on the
> make-up of the assembly though. Plurality is neutral as regards where parties are
> positioned on a left-right spectrum,

I am astonished that you would call Plurality "neutral" in this respect.

> Borda (which tends to be
> unpredictable and throw up a minority of odd results) is most favourable to
> centrists.

But I'm sure you'd agree that the method is too manipulable for this to hold
true in the real world (crowding incentive, burial incentive...).

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr