[EM] [OT] Kenneth Arrow theory... anyone?

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Fri Nov 21 10:54:02 PST 2003

Is this "single-peakedness" the same as saying all voters fall on a 1D
ideological spectrum?

e.g. if all voters and candidates fit on the left-right spectrum, then all
voters will have one of these preferences:

Left>Middle>Right
Right>Middle>Left
Middle>Left>Right
Middle>Right>Left

But if issue space is more complicated, e.g. the "middle" guy scores low
with a lot of voters on some issue that doesn't fall on a left-right
spectrum (maybe something like intelligence or experience) then you could
also get Right>Left>Middle or Left>Right>Middle (e.g. voters who think
"middle" is an idiot and would rather have a smart guy that they
completely disagree with than an idiot that they sometimes agree with).

Or is single-peakedness more complicated than that?