[EM] Re: Hand counting election methods

Gervase Lam gervase at group.force9.co.uk
Mon Nov 17 16:32:04 PST 2003

> The 2x2x2 grid can of course be extended yet again to a 2x2x2x2 grid by
> using two sheets of paper.  The first sheet is for those who voted Yes
> for candidate A while the other is for those who voted No for candidate
> A. The top grid on each page is for those who voted Yes for candidate B
> while the bottom grid is for those who voted No for candidate B.  The
> Yes/No columns/rows on each of the grids are for candidates C and D.

Imagine a large 2x2 grid on a sheet of paper.  The Yes/No columns/rows of
the grid are for candidates A and B.

No lines demarcate the boundaries of the grid.  Instead, each quadrant of
the grid contains an outlined 2x2 grid.  Each grid has Yes/No columns/rows
for candidates C and D.  You now have a 2x2x2x2 (4D) grid on a piece of
paper.

I suppose this can be extended again to a 5D grid (i.e. 5 candidates) by
having two sheets of paper.  In general, I think the layout and
presentation is very crucial.

Thanks,
Gervase.