[EM] Electronic Voting Bill of Rights?

Ernest Prabhakar drernie at mac.com
Fri Nov 14 14:20:15 PST 2003

On Nov 14, 2003, at 1:55 PM, David GLAUDE wrote:
> I think that before any electronic system get introduced, you need to
> carefull set the goal and define what democratic election are.

I actually think that this is an excellent point.    We may disagree
about how easy a technical solution is, but I think we agree that we
need to explicitly state what the requirements are.

Has anyone put together an "Electronic Voting Bill of Rights" to
specify what criteria should be required of electronic voting systems?
If not, I think it would be awesome if electorama could draft and
ratify something like that.   Touch-screen voting seems to be a hot
issue, and it might generate some good publicity.

I'm sure many people here have their pet list, but I haven't seen
anything systematic.  Mine would include things like:

REQUIREMENTS FOR ELECTRONIC VOTING SYSTEMS (EVSs)

1.  MUST enable potential recounts

2.  MUST be developed in an open process, allowing external
accountability

3.  MUST allow me to verify that my vote was entered and counted
correctly

4.  MUST NOT allow other people to verify that I voted a particular way

etc.

Thoughts?

-- Ernie P.