[EM] Re: Kenneth Arrow theory... anyone?

Gervase Lam gervase at group.force9.co.uk
Fri Nov 21 16:42:02 PST 2003

> Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 01:42:05 +0100
> From: David GLAUDE <dglaude at gmx.net>
> Subject: [EM] [OT] Kenneth Arrow theory... anyone?

> [[Do you know that a multi-cultural society cannot be democratic?
> The Nobel Prize Kenneth Arrow mathematically showed, in 1952, that there
> was no possible democracy via a voting system (theorem of
> impossibility), except if the voters share the same culture and close
> values (Nobel Prize Amartya SEN)]]

Is this a quote from Amartya Sen?  What observation(s) did he make that
connects him with Arrow's Theorem?

Below is another link to the Nobel Prize Internet Archive.  This time it
is for Amartya Sen.

<http://www.almaz.com/nobel/economics/1998a.html>

Couldn't find anything that could be connected to Arrow there.  So I
clicked on the Amazon link there.  Lo and behold, the connection...

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0674127781/qid=1069460586/sr=1-9/ref=sr_1_9/102-8910065-6683338?v=glance&s=books>

If you can't handle the above link, just search for the book called
"Choice, Welfare and Measurement."

Thanks,
Gervase.