[EM] The "Turkey" problem

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu May 29 23:42:03 PDT 2003

Dave,

 --- Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> a écrit :
> That the CW would have received the fewest Approval votes is unlikely, for
> many voters ranked the CW as better than other candidates, and therefore
> are likely to also have Approved in that election method.

Imagine a three-candidate election where the centrist, compromise candidate
is not particularly popular.

> Perhaps this all started with worth.  Seems like you could have stayed out
> of trouble if you had made it clear that the values you assigned were your
> choices, and the calculations based on them were such, rather than
> inherent in the election,

I can't believe I'm reading this.  I should go back and count how many
times I stated that "worth" information couldn't be discerned from the
ballots, and that I was providing it to you as part of a scenario.  What
wasn't clear about that?

Seriously, what do you think I meant?

> >>True that A backers
> >>would prefer their candidate but, considering that that is an impossible
> >>dream, they should be thankful that D protects them from having B or C
> >>win (and B and C backers should have similar thoughts).
> >
> > They probably are "relatively pleased," but that is a different beast
> > from what I'm talking about.  They can be relatively pleased, and displeased
> > (in absolute terms) at the same time.
>
> Splitting hairs?  To what benefit?

It's not splitting hairs.  What it means for a voter to be "pleased" is
at the heart of this whole argument.

I think the bottom line is that you can't accept evaluation of a candidate
based on any criteria other than his performance in a Condorcet election.
In that case, the "turkey problem" cannot have any meaning for you, because
it involves concepts that cannot be explained using only Condorcet
terminology.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr