[EM] The "Turkey" problem

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Thu May 29 14:28:55 PDT 2003

On Thu, 29 May 2003 10:59:08 -0700 (PDT) Forest Simmons wrote:

> On Wed, 28 May 2003, Dave Ketchum wrote:
>

>>... you seem to describe your subjective ratings as objective.
>>

> In the context of political elections utilities are more or less
> subjective, but it is easy to construct scenarios (i.e. games) for which
> the utilities (i.e. payoffs) for the voters (i.e. players) are precise
> objective amounts of money.
>
> It may be useful to clarify the "turkey problem" in such an idealized
> context first, and then adapt the results to the more realistic contexts
> taking into account the effects of the idealization.

Agreed that subjective ratings can be useful, which is what I hear in your
words.

So the worth values used in this thread are well and good as demonstrating
why a voter who agreed with those values would agree with the suggested

Other voters could assign different worth values as they evaluated the
candidates.  These differences would justify different responses.

Seemed to me that this second possibility did not get the emphasis that it
deserved - my reason for the responses I offered.

--
  davek at clarityconnect.com    http://www.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek
   Dave Ketchum    108 Halstead Ave, Owego, NY  13827-1708    607-687-5026