[EM] Dimensions, Electoral College

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Tue May 27 07:32:35 PDT 2003

On Tue, 27 May 2003 09:50:49 +0000 josh at narins.net wrote:

> That's all academic, Dave.
>
> If you were an elector, and, after the polls closed,
> the candidate you were elected to vote for,
> was found out to be a mass murderer of small children,
> would you continue to cast your vote for them?
> Even if, as in some random state,
> you had to pay a $25 dollar fine for not voting
> the way you were elected to do?
>
> This PRECISE freedom is the part of the stated reason for the existence
> of the Electoral College
>
> Maybe it was secretly designed with the idea that if a complete
> unknown??? (no way!) became President, they could investigate for a few
> months before the whole deal was final, I dunno.
>
> By the way, if I was an elector and I found out that the candidate I was
> supposed to vote for was behind releasing the false allegations, there
> is NO WAY ON EARTH you could make me vote for them.
>
> None.

This is useless fighting over details.
      Proper understanding, whether only verbal or backed by a written
pledge, is that the elector is committed to vote for the candidate being
backed.
      Proper understanding, including proper wording for a written pledge,
includes authorization to vote for a substitute when there is cause, such
as the candidate dying.
      HOWEVER, the elector getting swayed by campaign rhetoric and wishing
that a different candidate should win is NOT cause for failing to vote as
committed as an elector.
--
  davek at clarityconnect.com    http://www.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek
   Dave Ketchum    108 Halstead Ave, Owego, NY  13827-1708    607-687-5026