[EM] The "Turkey" problem and limited ranks

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun May 25 15:57:01 PDT 2003

On Sun, 25 May 2003 10:10:12 +0200 (CEST) Kevin Venzke wrote:

> Dave,
>
> The problem with the truncation solution is that it is never in the
> interests of the individual voter to rank two candidates equally
> when he truly does have a preference.  (Ignoring the possibility of
> cycles for the moment.)  In other words, it is potentially useful
> to vote X>Y while disliking both.

We are mixing two topics:
      My topic is that I insist on having the right to truncate after
ranking as many candidates as I choose to.  There can be 10 or a dozen
candidates and there is no value in forcing me to rank among the lemons
whose rottenness is equally unacceptable.
      Your topic seems to be about ranking those when I see a difference
as a voter.  CERTAINLY I should rank according to the preferences I do have.

> If people did agree to truncate before the bad candidates, the
> winner's average utility would be higher (we would have a guarantee
> that someone thought he was a good choice), but some voters might
> have gotten a better result by not truncating.

PROVIDED the voters are agreed as to which are the worst lemons, it will
not matter whether they are truncated, for NO candidate can be CW without
at least some voters ranking the candidate as better than others.

> Here's an example, as you asked:
>
> 48: A>B>C  (A worth 100, B worth 15, C worth 0)
> 2: B (B worth 100, A and C worth 0)
> 48: C>B>A  (C worth 100, B worth 15, A worth 0)

I do not understand "worth" in this context - but think I do not need to.

> If they vote as above, B is the CW.  His average utility is only
> 16.4, while A and C are both worth 48.  If the A and C supporters
> truncate, A and C tie.  But say there isn't a tie, and one of the
> B supporters votes B>A>C, so that A is the CW.  Now the C supporters
> regret truncating, because they could've at least gotten B elected.
> B is still pretty bad, but he's better than A.

As I said above, it is not proper to truncate until you have said ALL you
care to say (also note that votes of A>B and C>B are not true truncation,
given a total of 3 candidates).  Here about half the voters say A is the
best available, and about half say A is the worst available, and almost
all agree that B is neither best nor worst.

You strain to call B "pretty bad" - all you know is that few call B best
of the 3, BUT ALSO, few (actually none) call B worst of the 3.  For
example, assume A and C promise to implement opposite extreme positions on
abortion, and B promises to hold the middle ground.

Again, you talk of A and C backers truncating before expressing their full
desires, and then regretting their own suicide - they should have learned
the rules BEFORE voting.

> In Approval, unless A or C look hopeless, only the 2 voters will
> approve B.  The other 96 voters are better off trying to break a
> 100-15 tie than a 15-0 one.  Thus the average utility of the winner
> is improved by collecting information on preference priorities.

Depends.  If either A or C backers can be confident of winning, they vote
only their desires in Approval.  If they expect the above strategy to
lose, they properly include B with their favorite as better than a worst
class loss (see what I said about abortion above).

--
  davek at clarityconnect.com    http://www.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek
   Dave Ketchum    108 Halstead Ave, Owego, NY  13827-1708    607-687-5026