[EM] IRV in action

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Sun Mar 30 22:35:02 PST 2003

Very interesting.  It's a shame they didn't post the individual ballots
in a way that a Condorcet tally could be run.  I started to work out how
to reverse engineer the list based on the results, but unfortunately,
once a batch of ballots gets transferred from candidate A to candidate
B, it's impossible to know which ballots are which when candidate B's
ballots get transferred to candidates C, D, and E.

This looks like a really strange example of an election.  The
candidate/voter ratio was extremely high, and presumably, the candidates
had an opportunity to establish a somewhat personal relationship with
all of the voters (especially the incumbent pre-reform peers, who they
presumably worked with in the "good old days").  Thus, it's not hard to
imagine why the rankings were so deep compared with what you might
expect in another type of election.

It's also interesting how they chose to whittle down the number required
to win as ballots dropped off.  There were 423 ballots, where the first
column lists "Votes needed to be elected: 212".  However, by the time
you reach column 42, the votes needed to be elected drops to 134.  Is
this standard practice in IRV, or was this done to avoid the
embarrassing situation where no candidate in the runoff receives a
majority, even after receiving 42 rounds of ballot transfers?

I suppose this is an interesting problem for IRV in general.  I'd always
been under the impression that a big selling point of IRV is that the
winner would have "a majority", even if it's from a series of
transfers.  However, there's no guarantee that there will be a majority
even after all of the transferring is done.  In this particular
election, there's no knowing how many of the 115 ballots accumulated by
Montgomery of Alamein (the runner up) in the 42nd round actually listed
Ullswater (the winner) next (who won with 151 votes).  If less than 61
ballots (i.e. 212 minus 151) of the 115 Montgomery of Alamein ballots
had listed Ullswater, then there was indeed no majority winner.

Rob