[EM] Duverger's Law

Olli Salmi olli.salmi at uusikaupunki.fi
Sun Mar 30 10:52:07 PST 2003

At 09:52 -0800 29.3.2003, Bart Ingles wrote:
>I assume Approval or Condorcet would permit n-dimensions, but I wonder
>about the value of n.  Maybe n would be infinite, but with some
>dimensions "larger" than others.  The realities of campaign finance and
>public attention might limit the value of n, or make it subject to
>factors other than the voting system.  For example, liberal public
>financing might increase n, while strict limits on campaign advertising
>might force a fixed number of dimensions to have equal weight (I'm not
>saying either of these are good or bad).

I've been wondering whether Approval in parliamentary elections would
lead into a single dominant party system, a strong central party,
with an occasional seat gained by other parties, or with the central
party making bargains right and left. With luck that could be a
virtual one-party system.

Olli Salmi