[EM] Electoral reform in Poland: do away with proportional representation

Olli Salmi olli.salmi at uusikaupunki.fi
Fri Mar 28 12:35:02 PST 2003

At 21:53 -0800 25.3.2003, Rob Lanphier wrote:
>>I didn't understand your comment about majoritarian rule amongst the elected
>>representatives.  No matter how you build a consensus on any issue,
>>at the end of
>>the day it will require majority support in the Parliament if it is to become
>>accepted national policy.
>I was probably being too glib, but what I meant by this is that
>there's a number of decisions (e.g. selection of a prime minister)
>where the coalition building is made very difficult by the fact that
>it's done using first-past-the-post (FPTP) rather than approval,
>Condorcet, IRV, etc.

Where is it done so?

>Even things that are seemingly simple up/down votes often involve a
>series of amendments and riders.  Moving to proportional
>representation ensures that there's better representation on issues,
>but in current practice relegates those representatives to use FPTP
>for everything.

FPTP is to my knowledge not used in important elections in
legislatures, certainly not in selecting prime ministers.

In Britain it's usually clear who will form the government. In other
countries that have adopted parliamentary government it is usually
the head of state that starts negotiating with the parties and
decides who can attempt to form the government, if it's not obvious
from the election result.

Here are descriptions from the Netherlands, where governments are
usually stable despite the electoral threshold 1/150, smaller than in
Israel.
http://quickstart.clari.net/qs_se/webnews/wed/an/Qdutch-vote-coalition.RoWr_DJN.html
http://www.rnw.nl/hotspots/html/ned030205.html

Some theory
http://www.stanford.edu/group/SITE/Merlo.pdf

In Sweden the overall responsibility has been given to the speaker.
http://www.riksdagen.se/english/members/F03_regb_en.asp

In Finland we are using the new constitution for the first time now.
The parties have agreed that the leader of the largest party will
initiate the negotiations. She was also elected speaker, which other
parties didn't quite like, but most parties voted for her, because
the speaker is traditionally from the largest party. The speaker is
also traditionally not from the same party as the prime minister, so
it was thought that there was a conflict of interest.

http://www.om.fi/constitution/3340.htm
section 61
http://www.helsinki-hs.net/news.asp?id=20030314IE11
http://www.helsinki-hs.net/news.asp?id=20030328IE1

In the election of speaker we use a three-round election, where an
absolute majority of those present and voting is needed in the first
two rounds and a simple majority is enough in the third.

In Finland we do use FPTP in local government for appointments,
except elections of town managers which use a runoff. With party
cohesion the results are rather predictable and the parties negotiate
about all posts, so FPTP is usually not a problem, or, perhaps more
accurately, it's problems are remedied by negotiations. Committees
and chairmen+deputies are elected by (nearly) unanimous consent or
closed list PR.

In Germany the election of the chancellor requires an absolute
majority. If it can't be found, a dissolution will follow.

>>That will apply no matter whether you have majority
>>government of one party or a coalition, or minority government.  Of
>>course, you
>>can improve the stability of the Parliament (and of the government)
>>by avoiding
>>the stupid rule that any successful vote against the government automatically
>>means that the government falls.
>>
>Indeed, that seems pretty awful.  Is that what Poland is doing?

I'm not sure what sounds awful, the Westminster model? In Britain it
is normal that almost any vote against the government leads to new
elections, which is an effective way of increasing the power of the
Prime Minister. In some countries only an express vote of no
confidence will lead to dissolution. One device is the French
invention called interpellation.

It's the too easy votes of no confidence, not PR, which I think has
lead to instability in some countries. As I've said, the Swiss
solution avoids this. Israel has adopted a quasi-presidential type of
government where the prime minister is elected directly by the
voters, which means they use a single-winner method. It's not
guaranteed that the winner is able to work with other parties so I'm
not sure how much it will improve stability. I understand some
countries in South America have proportional elections and a
presidential form of government. Brazil?

The Polish constitution
http://www.oefre.unibe.ch/law/icl/pl00000_.html
Articles 154 - 162

Olli Salmi