[EM] PR and Second Chambers

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon Mar 24 12:30:02 PST 2003

 --- James Gilmour <jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk> a
écrit :
> I do appreciate the sophistication that can go into
> gerrymandering.  However, the
> fundamental problem remains that 50% of those who
> vote will get no representation
> no matter whether the district is gerrymandered or
> not.

I think this is a weird criticism.  No matter how many
people can be represented under PR, no more than 50%+1
of the legislators are guaranteed to be represented by
the policies passed, or by the installed prime
minister and cabinet.  (Maybe your sentiment is that
having seats is all that matters for representation?
I might agree, so then bicameral would be best.)

The advantage of a "good single-winner method" is that
the extremes may be precluded from the result (except
in that they may cancel out each other's votes).  The
reason to preclude them is that it would be
undesirable for them to participate in a legislative
majority if other, more centrist segments are omitted
from it.  The aim of this (centering) is to reduce the
maximum amount of discontent felt by any segment of
the voters.

Maybe you will say that whichever majority can
assemble itself should receive the power, but I think
that would be inconsistent with your desire to have
everyone represented.

(It seemed like you didn't believe in "extremes," but
I wasn't sure if you were serious.  So I won't try to
define it.)

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr