[EM] Another PR method based on ranked ballots

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Thu Mar 20 16:00:02 PST 2003

Steve Eppley said:
> So I prefer a PR system such as the following: Each voter ranks the
> parties from most preferred to least preferred, then seats are
> awarded to each party in proportion to the number of voters that
> ranked it topmost, with the following exception:  The voters'
> rankings would also be tallied by a good single-winner method (such
> as MAM), the winning party according to that method would be awarded
> enough extra seats to make it the largest party.

I see your point concerning simple PR, but simplicity has its virtues.

Another way to check the power of "largest minority" extremist parties
is bicameralism:  Elect one house of a legislature by PR (pick your
favorite simple method), and the other by some suitable single-winner
method from large single-member districts.  Extremists have a harder
time in
single-winner races than in PR, and as long as the two houses of the
legislature have comparable powers this setup produces good balance.

To avoid the gerrymander problem often associated with single-member
districts, draw large districts, and use some suitable method that keeps
the shapes relatively compact (compact in the colloquial sense, not in
any mathematical sense, where it has a precise meaning).  The
districting problem was discussed in depth on the list about a year ago.

Alex Small