[EM] Your opinion on being able to vote no preference?

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Wed Mar 19 15:00:50 PST 2003

Forest Simmons said:
> For example, MinMax(pairwise opposition) satisfies the FBC when equality
> at the top is allowed.  This method chooses as winner the candidate
> whose maximum pairwise opposition is minimal.
> As near as I can tell this is the simplest deterministic pairwise method
> that satisfies the FBC.

I wonder if it's possible to satisfy weak FBC with Condorcet methods that
allow equal rankings.  Although it's a method that uses only pairwise
information, MinMax(pairwise opposition) does not always elect the
Condorcet Winner.  Consider the following series of pairwise contests:

A>B:  45:44
B>C:  52:48
A>C:  51:49

Maximum pairwise opposition for each candidate