IMC, I2C and LIIA criteria (was Re: [EM] Markus: RP & BeatpathWinner/CSSD)

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Mar 12 15:49:03 PST 2003

On 12 Mar 2003 at 11:55, Markus Schulze wrote:
-snip-
> As far as I have understood Young correctly, his LIIA is intended to
> be a weakening of Arrow's IIA. Therefore, in my opinion, it makes sense
> to ask whether in simulations compliance with LIIA really leads to fewer
> violations of IIA.
-snip-

As I recall, Young claimed Local Independence of Irrelevant
Alternatives (LIIA) is a "slight weakening" of Arrow's IIA.
Obviously Young exaggerated, since LIIA + Clone Independence is
clearly significantly stronger than LIIA.  Therefore, since LIIA
compliance was the primary reason Young advocated Kemeny-Young, he
ought to prefer a method like MAM (or perhaps a "margins" variation)
if MAM's satisfaction of LIIA + Clone Independence were brought to
his attention.

Immunity from Majority Complaints (IMC) is stronger than LIIA, but is
not intended as a weakening of IIA.  Therefore it does not make sense
to me to test IMC as if it were a weakening of IIA.

As for your conjecture that MAM and BeatpathWinner would probably
perform about the same in a simulation that adds a randomly ranked
candidate (or, equivalently, a simulation that retallies after
deleting a random loser, which might be easier to write), I guess I'd
be willing to make a small wager that MAM would do slightly better
than BeatpathWinner, based on the other random voting simulations
that show MAM winners beat BeatpathWinner winners pairwise more often
than vice versa. (For the results of my simulation comparing of MAM
winners and BeatpathWinner winners pairwise, follow the link from
www.alumni.caltech.edu/~seppley.)

-- Steve Eppley