[EM] Markus: RP & BeatpathWinner/CSSD

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Mar 10 15:32:02 PST 2003

On 10 Mar 2003 at 12:27, Markus Schulze wrote:
-snip-
> However, according to Steve Eppley, there is a merit
> difference. Steve, who uses the term "MAM" for Ranked Pairs

It is more reasonable to use the term MAM as a variation of
Ranked Pairs than as a synonym for Ranked Pairs.  MAM is
monotonic, whereas Zavist-Tideman's Ranked Pairs 1989 is
not (nor is the "winning votes" variation of Ranked Pairs
1989).  MAM satisfies strong Pareto and clone independence,
whereas Tideman's Ranked Pairs 1987 does not.  And, being a
"winning votes" variation, MAM satisfies some criteria
(Minimal Defense, Non-drastic Defense and Truncation
Resistance) that "margins" variations of Ranked Pairs do
not satisfy.  Given its satisfaction of these criteria, MAM
seems to be the best variation of Ranked Pairs.

> and the term "PathWinner" for the beat path method, writes:
>
>> MAM may be preferable to PathWinner for a couple of reasons:
>>
>> 1. MAM (but not PathWinner) satisfies immunity from majority
>> complaints (IMC), immunity from second-place complaints (I2C)
>> and other criteria described in the document Immunity from
>> Majority Complaints.
>>
>> 2. Computer simulations using randomly generated profiles of
>> voters' orderings suggest the alternative chosen by MAM will
>> beat pairwise the alternative chosen by PathWinner more often
>> than vice versa, and that over the long run more voters will
>> prefer MAM winners over PathWinner winners than vice versa.

Also, MAM satisfies Peyton Young's criterion "local
independence of irrelevant alternatives (LIIA), and
BeatpathWinner does not.

   Call a subset X of the alternatives "contiguous"
   if no alternative outside X is socially ordered
   equal to or between any alternatives in X.

   LIIA:  For all subsets X of the alternatives,
   if X is contiguous then the alternatives in X
   must be socially ordered, relative to each other,
   the same as they would be if all alternatives
   outside X were deleted from the votes.

LIIA is weaker than Immunity from Majority Complaints, both
described in my web pages.

Young wrote in "Equity: In Theory and Practice" that LIIA
is a "slight weakening" of Arrow's IIA, and on that basis
argued for the Kemeny-Young method.  But clearly "LIIA +
Clone Independence" is even less of a weakening of IIA, so
Young ought to have argued for a method like MAM that
satisfies both LIIA and Clone Independence.  Personally, I
don't think Young's justification of LIIA is as significant
as Young thinks, but some readers may consider LIIA
satisfaction to be another significant advantage MAM has
over BeatpathWinner. (It may also help in a campaign to
reform the voting method if one can cite Young's desire for
LIIA compliance and point out the proposed voting method
satisfies it.)

Mike Ossipoff wrote that another MAM advantage is its
briefer definition, but since that kind of thing tends like
beauty to be in the eye of the beholder, I didn't make that
claim in my web pages.  Mike seems to like to minimize word
count even if that reduces clarity, whereas I think clarity
is more important than brevity.

* *

In a recent message I erred when I said Mike Ossipoff
considers MAM best in both committees and public elections,
judging by his recent messages in EM that say he thinks
it's better in public elections but not in committees.

I must have misunderstood the implications of some of his
comments in private email, or maybe he's changed his mind
again.  Maybe I'll find time to reread his private email,
and time to argue with him over his claim that the
BeatpathWinner algorithm is really briefer or more elegant.
These can depend on the language in which the algorithm is
written.  For instance, languages that include "sorting" as
a high level instruction make MAM much briefer and more
elegant than languages that demand the programmer implement
a sorting routine using low level instructions.

To see a fairly brief yet complete MAM algorithm written in
"structured English", follow the link to "MAM procedure
definition" from "www.alumni.caltech.edu/~seppley".

MAM's definition and algorithm can be significantly
shortened for public elections, since in that context it is
reasonable to ignore the unlikely occurrence of two or more
majorities that are exactly the same size, and pairings
that are tied.

The definition and algorithm can also be shortened in the
committee context if, instead of using Random Voter
Hierarchy to construct a tiebreaking ordering of the
alternatives, we use for the tiebreaking ordering the
chronological order in which the alternatives were
nominated.  This variation doesn't completely satisfy the
Neutrality criterion, but rewarding the early alternatives
when breaking ties seems a reasonable and slight relaxation
of Neutrality.  This variation might also not completely
satisfy Clone Independence--I won't have time to check this
for awhile--but, if not, probably provides enough clone
independence.

-- Steve Eppley