[EM] So "preference" means "representation of preference"?

Craig Carey research at ijs.co.nz
Wed Mar 5 05:44:04 PST 2003

At 03\03\04 22:37 -0800 Tuesday, MIKE OSSIPOFF wrote:

 >Markus--
 >
 >You wrote:
 >
 >I absolutely agree with Blake: "A method is just a function from
 >a hypothetical set of preference orders to a set of winners.
 >Where the preference orders come from is of no concern."
 >
 >I reply:
 >
 >A method is a function from a set of not-so-hypothetical representations
 >of preference order to a set of winners.
 >
 >Every conceivable voting system has as its input some sort of
 >representation of voters' preferences or ratings of the candidates.
 >
 >Preferences and representations of preferences obviously aren't the
 >same thing. You & Blake seem to be invoking the academic authors,
 >as if their misuse of "preference" is official & correct usage because you
 >found it in a journal.
 >
 >I'm sorry, but I've never heard of a voting system that uses hypothetical
 >preferences, whatever that means. As I said, they all have
 >as their input a not-hypothetical set of representations of preference
 >ordering.

That sounds evasive. Why not correct Mr Schulze's error of not attaching'
weight information before put the information into a set, and then make
a correct reply?.

To Mike Ossipoff ("MIKE OSSIPOFF").

I invite you to answer these 2 requests for information:

Here is a method.

A method that Mike has "never heard of" prior to this message: a
2 candidate

In the following, "a" and "b" are real numbers representing the 'weight'
(or count) of the ordered preference lists shown. The thing that is a
preference list and a weight is a to be named a ballot paper.

Preference List : Weight(or count)
(A) : a0
(AB): a1
(B) : b0
(BA): b1

The election always has except when a=b'. The winners are:
    (a0+a1<b0+b1) implies B wins
    (b0+b1<a0+a1) implies A wins.

This would be easy for MIKE OSSIPOFF.
If Mr OSSIPOFF posts up algebra then I would let the rule be swapped
with another.

At the moment I ask that the 4 paper 2 candidate 1 winner rule be
checked with definition of "Favorite Betrayal Criterion" that is
at the webpage with the URL shown and also below:

  QUESTION 1 !
  Does this FBC pass the 2 candidate 1 winner [FPTP] method defined
  above?.

http://www.electionmethods.org/evaluation.html

|Favorite Betrayal Criterion (FBC)
|Statement of Criterion
|
|By voting another candidate over his favorite, a voter should never
|get a result that he considers preferable to every result he could
|get without doing so.
|
|Complying Methods

The favorite is not the 1st preference because of the word "over".

Can the FPTP method be failed by your Favorite Betrayal Criterion ?.

  QUESTION 2 !

(1) Please consider the last US Presidential election where Mr Al Gore
   was running.

(2) Please regard that the FPTP method used in that election is
   re-stated so that it has 2 ballot paper preprocessing stages.

   The 1st stage converts papers to STV papers.
   The 2nd stage undoes that conversion and it returns FPTP papers.
   This is not less secret than the sincerity information you often
   write a bit on. So it is hyper-secret.

Here is a diagram showing the real world details, as asserted or
whatever:

FPTP papers --[STAGE 1]--> STV papers --[STAGE 2]--> FPTP papers -->

  --> Electoral College

                   Update on new sincerity definition

MIKE's definition of "sincerity" now has it be undefined when the
very last preference is not filled in. These methods depend on that
definition of the word sincerity:

    (1) Condorcet Criterion (CC)
    (2) Generalized Condorcet Criterion (GCC)
    (3) Strategy-Free Criterion (SFC)
    (4) Generalized Strategy-Free Criterion (GSFC)

Here is the exact wording of the latest "sincerity" definition:

 >A sincere vote is one with
 >  no falsified preferences or
 >  preferences left unspecified
 >when the election method allows them to be specified (in addition
 >to the preferences already specified).

The Condorcet variant methods are likely all indifferent to whether
the last preference is present or not. Yet CC and GCC contain the
word Condorcet.

Mike's own website is destroying 4 of the rules

Mike wrote to this list and said that the "favorite" was who I wanted
it to be. That subsequently got contradicted by Mike.