[EM] Your appraisals requested

Tom McIntyre avnow at fgn.net
Tue Mar 11 02:34:02 PST 2003

Hello,

I'd like some input from as many people on this list who are willing.

I am making a chart to use in demonstrating the relative strengths of
different voting systems to those unfamiliar with them.  I've chosen
Plurality, Approval, Ratings, Borda, IRV, and two forms of Condorcet:
winning votes with no equal rankings but truncation allowed, and margins
with equal rankings allowed.  I might have added others but for two
reasons: (1) they're just not well-understood enough, and (2) too many
systems will get too confusing.

I've chosen a couple dozen "desirable characteristics", and intend to
rank each election method on a scale of 0 to 10, with 10 being the most
desirable situation.  I've filled in the chart with a few of these off
the top of my head, to serve as examples.

I by no means have full knowledge of how each method fares in each
light, so I need to tap the knowledge in all your heads.

I'm hoping this doesn't start any holy wars on the list, so perhaps it's
best if responses are sent directly to me.  I can post a summary if
anyone desires, after getting all the feedback.

This started as an Excel spreadsheet, but I've saved it as a CSV, and am
attaching it in that form.  Please fill in as many boxes as you feel
qualified to rate.  I'll take CSV's, or Excel 97 or Lotus spreadsheets.

Thank you very much,
Tom McIntyre