[EM] request for reading matter

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Mon Jun 30 23:15:01 PDT 2003

At 11:29 PM 6/30/2003 -0400, John B. Hodges wrote:

>I've heard of "ranked pairs", but what is "beatpath"? I presume it is a
>method of resolving Condorcet elections in case of circular pairwise
>pluralities. Where can I read about the properties, mathematical and
>otherwise, of Ranked Pairs and Beatpath?

One good site to check out is Rob LeGrand's:
http://www.onr.com/user/honky98/rbvote/.  This site has good explanations
of a whole slew of ranking methods.  Beatpath and Ranked Pairs are referred
to as Schulze and Tideman, respectively.  This web site also has a nice
vote calculator, whose only drawback (in my opinion) is that it forces
margins-based results.

Some other good web sites by folks on this list:

Eric Gorr's voting calculator: http://www.ericgorr.net/condorcet/index.php
is very good, and can be used to do either Ranked Pairs or Beatpath;
winning votes or margins.

Mike Ossipoff's http://electionmethods.org/ - very solid site that supports
Approval and Condorcet and criticizes IRV.

Blake Cretney's http://condorcet.org/ - the election method resource
section is especially good.

The collective project of http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_system -
it's getting better.

But most significantly, if you ever get confused, you can always try
searching the archives of the list at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/election-methods-list/messages/.

Hope that helps,

Adam