[EM] Fwd: Is Condorcet The Turkey?

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Jun 30 12:51:05 PDT 2003

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Adam Tarr wrote:

> David Gamble wrote:
>
>  > Due to the nature of the Condorcet method- which considers lower
> preferences
>  > before the fate of higher preferences is decided- condorcet would appear
> to me
>  > to be a turkey electoral system.

Question: When IRV "decides the fate" of a candidate while leaving other
candidates in the running, what does it do to that candidate?

Answer: It eliminates that candidate.

Question: In view of this process of elimination, why would you want to
decide the fate of an "higher candidate" before the fate of a "lower
candidate?"

Question:  Why do IRV supporters believe that IRV is superior to Coombs?

I'm not saying that Coombs is any better than IRV, but the IRV supporter
arguments seem to support Coombs over IRV?

Forest