[EM] Fwd: Is Condorcet The Turkey?

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Jun 24 10:45:04 PDT 2003

 --- Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com> a écrit :
> Perhaps this collection of votes has been asked to carry a bigger burden
> than it is capable of:
>         Condorcet does not support expressing the detailed sentiments that
> are imagined above.

That's the POINT.  Condorcet doesn't reflect the "strength of preference"
information, while other methods may.

Dave, if you're just going to skim what I write, you're not obligated to reply.
You will save both of us (especially me) some time.

>   > So, if the A and C supporters can trust each other, they improve their
>   > expectation by bullet-voting.  (But I don't think they will be able to
>   > trust each other.)
>
> If this "utility" was something of value in the above election, there
> could be truth in the above statement.

Are you confused?  "Voters can't consider or discuss preference strength, because
it isn't entered onto the ballot"??

In what other ways do you suppose the ballot format affects our feelings about
the candidates?

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr