[EM] Fwd: Is Condorcet The Turkey?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Wed Jun 18 21:26:20 PDT 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:00:34 -0700 (PDT) Forest Simmons wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Dave Ketchum wrote:

>>To me Condorcet is about as simple as it gets - list the candidates in
>>order, starting with your favorite and continuing until you care not which
>>of the remainder wins (which can only happen if none of those you do list
>>wins).  ...
>

> Listing candidates in order is not that easy for most folks.  Just
> figuring out who to put first is a major effort, hence all of the TV
> campaigning to attract the undecided swing voters.  In countries where
> ranked ballots are used, most voters depend heavily on recommendations
> from unions, parties, or favorites.

Mentioning campaigning is a distraction - it does try to influence voters,
but the current topic is how voters shall express their desires, once they
have decided.

> Which is easier to copy ... a ranked ballot or an approval ballot?

To vote for a single preferred candidate for Plurality, ranked, or
Approval seems about equally simple, whether the candidate is chosen by
the voter or copied from a cheat sheet.

I have trouble figuring out when a cheat sheet would have more than the
one name it is promoting for a seat:
      Could happen for Condorcet, with a favorite who is not expected to
win followed by a less desirable but stronger candidate.
      Would be a trifle easier for Approval, assuming it made sense to do.

We certainly agree that an independent voter could want to select more
than one candidate:
      With Condorcet you quit after you have ranked as many as you are
willing and able to - easy enough.
      With Approval the ballot marking is a bit easier, AFTER you have
done the hard work of sorting out which candidates you wish to list.

--
davek at clarityconnect.com  http://www.clarityconnect.com/webpages3/davek
                  If you want peace, work for justice.