[EM] Fwd: Is Condorcet The Turkey?

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Wed Jun 18 15:10:02 PDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Dave Ketchum wrote:

> To me Condorcet is about as simple as it gets - list the candidates in
> order, starting with your favorite and continuing until you care not which
> of the remainder wins (which can only happen if none of those you do list
> wins).  ...

Listing candidates in order is not that easy for most folks.  Just
figuring out who to put first is a major effort, hence all of the TV
campaigning to attract the undecided swing voters.  In countries where
ranked ballots are used, most voters depend heavily on recommendations
from unions, parties, or favorites.

Which is easier to copy ... a ranked ballot or an approval ballot?

Forest