[EM] Gilmour's Parliamentary Problem:

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Wed Jul 30 07:38:04 PDT 2003

I had written, in relation to Israel:
> "Coalition building has been very difficult to the point of near
> impossibility at times."
>
> Donald here:  This is the problem of the Parliamentary form
> of government and not a problem of a single area election.

The experience of most of countries of continental Europe for the past century gives the lie to your
assertion.

> It is time for you parliamentary people to move on and learn to commit
> yourselves to an executive government for a peroid of time - in others
> words, elect an executive directly by the people separate from the
> parliament.

I would not be so presumptuous as to tell the citizens of any other country whether they should
employ a parliamentary system of government or an executive system of government, but then I'm not
Donald.  I can see strengths and weaknesses in both, at least as we see them put into practice.

I have not declared any personal preference on this topic in my postings to this list or elsewhere,
so Donald should be more circumspect before writing "you parliamentary people" in a message that is
so clearly targeted.

As a practical reformer, I seek achievable reform within the existing system.  The introduction of
more sensitive voting systems for public elections at all level of government within the UK is, I
believe, an achievable reform.  Replacing the present parliamentary system of government in the UK
with an executive system of government is not.

James