[EM] IRV vs Condorcet

Adam Tarr atarr at purdue.edu
Thu Jul 24 07:26:12 PDT 2003

Dave Ketchum wrote:

>      Approval - actually more complex for the voter than ranked voting -
> all that is needed for rank is better vs worse, Approval requires
> judgment as to cutoff, but does not let the voter express the ranking
> required to get this far.

An interesting point - approval may be easy to understand HOW to vote in,
but voting intelligently is probably a little harder than in a good
Condorcet implementation.

>      PR - debate this another day - for the moment I am staying with
> elections with single winners, and not concerned with legislatures where
> PR MIGHT make sense.

PR definitely makes sense.  There's a lot of debate here about what sort of
PR is the best, but saying that means PR isn't a good idea would be like
saying plurality is good because we can't agree on the best alternative.  I
know that's not what you're arguing about PR, but I'm just making the point.

>      While IRV gets away from most of Plurality's spoiler problems, it
> has a few of its own.  Condorcet simply DOES NOT DO spoilers.

While winning votes-based Condorcet lacks the conventional spoiler problem,
it is still definitely present in margins-based Condorcet.  (Markus, here's
an example of a Condorcet supporter using a clones-type spoiler.)

Bush 49%
Gore 51%

Obviously Gore wins (save the jokes).  Now add in Nader:

Bush 49%
Gore 24%
Nader>Gore 27%

This example looks pretty similar to the eye to the ABC one you used, only
this one has the same spoiler as IRV when using margins-based
Condorcet.  Winning votes Condorcet still gives the election to Gore by a
wide margin (sorry).

Furthermore, one of the tried-and-true criticisms that IRVists use against
Condorcet is "your second-pace vote can help defeat your first place
vote."  This is virtually never true in winning votes, but it is frequently
true in margins.  In the example above, if 2% of the Bush supporters
expressed a sincere second preference for Gore, they would cause Gore to
beat Bush.

-Adam