[EM] Re: alternate proportional method

stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 21 12:21:16 PDT 2003

Rob,

I call a rallying method any method that permit
to unit support given to clone-candidates.
AV and STV are typical examples. They allow
loosing voters to rally behind a candidate still
running.

STV only allows comparison between the candidates of a same party running in the same multi-membered constituency. You cannot compare all candidates of the same party because,
to my knowledge, all candidates of the same party do not run
in the same constituency (I do not think their is a limit
for the number of candidates of a party, however it would not be strategically optimal to have more than n+1 candidate I think where n is the number of seats of the constituency, and I think a candidate cannot run in several constituencies
at the same election). So only "some" candidates of the same party run in the same constituency, not all.

You could implement SPPA without virtual districts (I call it SPP). However, either people should accept geographical discrepancies produced by the model (if areas are well known oriented fans, SPP would become a closed list model) or luckily the country/province would have to be very homogenoeous (no ethnic, religious, homosexuals, fishmen,
urban, language groups, or whatever ghettos...). As we actually accept these geography-based discriminations (in the mathematical sense), SPP could be a first step toward SPPA.

Thanks for reading,
Stephane