[EM] Re: alternate proportional method

Stephane Rouillon stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 17 14:38:20 PDT 2003

Sorry, my english is somewhat limited.

I suppose I do not make any difference between the terms used in
England, US, Australia or Canada or elsewhere...

At least for me, a riding is like an electoral county, an electoral
district, a thirding,
a circumscription or whatever name you would use to identify a local
unit
used to elect a single-member of an assembly of representatives.

For multiple-members, some use the terms super-districts or regions.

The main point is that "circumscription" comes from latin and by
definition
it means a connex geographical region. SPPA does not use geographical
definitions of an electoral district so I used the term "riding". Pick
the one you like.

Sorry for the mess,
Stephane Rouillon