[EM] preface to next two postings

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Wed Jul 9 09:49:54 PDT 2003

Dear election methods fans,

	Over the holiday weekend I wrote two replies which ended up being more
like little essays. Before I post them, maybe it would help for me just to
say where I'm coming from, so that I don't get misunderstood.
	At this point, I believe that Approval, IRV, and Condorcet are *all*
substantially better than plurality. However, I believe that the best
single-winner method is Condorcet. As for which is better between IRV and
Approval, I am still somewhat undecided, although my first instinct is
that IRV has more advantages. I am also not quite decided on which
Condorcet version I prefer.
	Also, I am in favor of proportional representation for legislative
elections (preferably by STV or an STV-Condorcet hybrid).
	The political question of how the election methods movement should
proceed in this country, in terms of the relationships between advocacy of
different possible systems, is perhaps less clear to me. I have some
opinions, but I will not go into them just now.

James Green-Armytage