[EM] Proportional Representation beyond STV?

Rob Speer rspeer at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 7 12:13:04 PDT 2003

Does anyone know of any theoretically nicer PR methods than STV? Usually
when I see proportional methods being discussed, the discussion stops at
STV.

Now, I agree that STV is pretty nice (I live in Cambridge and I'm pretty
happy with the system), but there is the fact that in the one-winner
case it reduces to IRV, which I rather dislike.

Although the multiple winners seem to avoid some of IRV's nastier cases,
it seems that there could be a method with better properties, perhaps
one that reduced to a Condorcet method.

Of course I've heard "Condorcet Series" mentioned - just pick the top N
winners in a Condorcet method - but of course that isn't proportional;
it elects N centrist candidates.

[Incidentally, I've had a heck of a time sending this message. I'm new
to the list, and I tried to send to election-methods-list at egroups.com,
which gave me a bounce telling me to send my message instead to...
election-methods-list at egroups.com. Something is messed up on the Yahoo
end.]

--
Rob Speer