[EM] Re: Use a "turkey" filter

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Wed Jul 2 03:04:02 PDT 2003

In  Australia in Federal and most  State elections there is a ridiculous
and indefensible requirement for voters to  put a number in every box.
Most voters (certainly nearly all those with no clear, sincere second
and lower preferences) just fill out their ballots as their favourite
party advises them. These advising parties certainly do understand the
electoral system, so you can be sure that if  the method used was
Condorcet (especially with truncation allowed)  they would not be
advising  voters to elect so-called  "turkeys"
.
I can see no reason in principle why a  CW with no first preference
votes  is necessarily  in any way illegimate (or a "turkey").

With secret voting, a reqirement  for some minimum number of  nominators
is fairly meaningless. I  think in some parts of the US a certain
minimum number of signatures  will get a person (or a proposition?) on
the ballot, and there I  believe they can easily be bought. Maybe with
Condorcet, candidates should have to achieve some minimum  Borda score
to get their cash deposit back.

Chris Benham