[EM] Hello (Intro); PR, Condorcet and Approval, variants...

Venzke Kevin stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Feb 19 19:54:25 PST 2003

> With wv as presented in this mail group, the voted
> disliked candidates are ranked ahead of "unknown"
> (nonvoted) candidates.  Thus the risk that a......

Yes, I can see that.  But I didn't mean my concern in
the context of the wv/margins dispute.  I think people
*would* rank unknown candidates, thinking of it as a
kind of strategy.  The candidates may not literally be
"unknown," but there could be rather little known
about even second tier candidates.  As an example,
perhaps Pat Buchanan could accidentally win.  Most
people know something about him, but I bet quite a few
Gore supporters would rank Buchanan above Bush,
thinking it a possible weapon against Bush, without
any risk of electing the former.

> Approval completed Condorcet chooses the Condorcet
> winner if there is one and when there is no
> Condorcet winner it chooses the approval winner.

This requires a simultaneous approval and ranked
ballot, right?  Wouldn't it be a better system at
least to find the Condorcet winner among candidates
meeting a defined Approval threshold?  My motivation
for mixing Condorcet and Approval would be to protect
against the former's possible flukes.

Stepjak