[EM] MinMax definition, Tideman properties

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Dec 30 13:48:11 PST 2003

Markus,

In Woodall's "Properties of single-winner preferential election rules II,"
bottom of page 11, the last paragraph reads:

"MinAGS (Minimum Augmented Gross Score) is also well-known as the minimax
method, abbreviated MM in [Monotonicity of single-seat preferential election
rules].  It elects the candidate X with the largest minimum augmented
gross score minags(X), which is the same as the candidate with the largest
minimum net score minns(X)."

The "augmented gross score" of A over B should be the number of voters
ranking A>B plus half the number of votes not distinguishing the two.

Despite the name "minimax," this definition looks for the maximum minimum.
This has confused me for some time.  Does the definition look right to
you?

Also, do you have an opinion as to whether Woodall is aware of Tideman(WV)?
He defines TidAGS and TidGS which to me appear to be Margins and All-Votes
respectively (page 14).  TidGS is supposed to have equivalent properties to
"D min GS," which is charted (page 17) as failing Condorcet.

Thanks for any help.

Kevin Venzke
stepjak at yahoo.fr