[EM] Re: Later-no-harm, "Earlier-no-harm"

Chris Benham chrisbenham at bigpond.com
Sun Dec 28 11:03:02 PST 2003

On  Tue.Dec.23, 2003,  Kevin Venzke wrote:

"It's possible to define (a possibly limited version of) later-no-harm
as: "Adding strict preferences among candidates otherwise ranked last,
should not hurt the result of the election from the perspective of
this ballot."

(By this definition, however, Approval passes, since approving an
additional candidate doesn't just involve adding strict preferences,
but also deleting others.)"

Surely Later-no-harm is only applicable to ranked-ballot methods,and Approval
is not a ranked-ballot method.
Other than trying to provide some ammunition for Approval versus IRV propaganda,
is there any point to this new version?

On a posititive note, Kevin went on:
"I don't believe I've ever heard anyone suggest the obvious counterpart,
"earlier-no-harm:" "Adding strict preferences among candidates otherwise
ranked FIRST, (etc...)."

For example, if voting "A=B=C>D>E" gets me one of those first choices,
then voting "A>B>C>D>E" should not get D or E elected.

"Earlier-no-help" could also be defined.  If "A=B=C>D>E" elects D,
then "A>B>C>D>E" should not elect A."