[EM] Election-methods digest, Vol 1 #388 - 7 msgs

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Sat Dec 20 23:50:01 PST 2003

Dear Matt,

Mike Ossipoff wrote (18 Dec 2003):

> repeat = 1
> while repeat = 1:
>   change = 0
>   for i = 1 to N
>      for j =  1 to N
>         for k = 1 to N
>            least = min(B(i,j), B(j,k))
>            if least > B(i,k):
>               B(i,k) = least
>               change =1
>            endif
>        endfor
>     endfor
> endfor
> if change= 0
>     repeat = 0
> endif
> endwhile

A compromise would be to write:

> repeat = 1
> while repeat = 1:
>   change = 0
>   for i = 1 to N
>      for j =  1 to N
>         for k = 1 to N
>            least = min(B(j,i), B(i,k))
>            if least > B(j,k):
>               B(j,k) = least
>               change =1
>            endif
>        endfor
>     endfor
> endfor
> if change= 0
>     repeat = 0
> endif
> endwhile

Here the professional mathematicians are satisfied because
it is garanteed that the triple-loop is passed only twice.
And those who don't have sufficient mathematical skills
to trust the Floyd algorithm have the while-loop as an
additional guaranty that the algorithm gives the correct
results.

Markus Schulze