[EM] BeatpathWinner Algorithm

MIKE OSSIPOFF nkklrp at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 20 23:21:01 PST 2003

Just one more thing about this:

Markus said, in a posting that was replying to my recent posting of the
BeatpathWinner algorithm (I posted it a few days ago):

Dear participants,

the correct version of the Floyd algorithm can be found in
Section 4 and in Appendix 3 of my paper "A New Monotonic
and Clone-Independent Single-Winner Election Method":

I reply:

Though the BeatpathWinner algorithm that I posted isn't the Floyd
algorilthm, it's still correct, because it does what it's intended to do. It
makes the strongest-beatpaths array, the B(i,j) array in which each B(i,j)
is the strength of the strongest beatpath from candidate i to candidate j.

If there is no beatpath from i to j, then B(i,j) = 0.

That algorithm wasn't written as an attempt to write the Floyd algorithm. It
was written by people who had never heard of the Floyd algorithm. It was
written to accomplish the pupose that it accomlishes. Only later, due to
Markus's earlier post of something he called the Floyd algorithm (though it
was about strongest paths rather than shortest paths), did I hear of the
Floyd algorithm.

Mike Ossipoff