The German loser (Re: [EM] Two Paramount Criteria

Craig Carey research at ijs.co.nz
Sat Dec 20 21:46:02 PST 2003

I wrote this for the mailing list.
Currently I am not sending it there.
I have not observed anything good at that mailing list result from
e-mail (except Richard and MrCatchpole seemed to have an ability to
get influenced. I may have missed bits.).

To: election-methods at electorama.com
Subject: Is this actually true enough Marcus ? (Re: [EM] Two Paramount Criteria

At 2003-12-20 11:05 +0100 Saturday, Markus Schulze wrote:
>Craig Carey wrote (20 Dec 2003):
>> (1) The number of winners should be correct.
>>    indicates that the Schulze method found the wrong number of winners.
>In Section 3 of my paper, I prove that my method is well defined:

The words "well-defined" are not defined in the paper.
Why don't you use your neutrality word.

I reject the idea that the arguments in your paper are correct. There are
a lot of serious problems ion your article.

Each of the errors could terminate an interest in you VM17 article.
In particular your ideal of:
 * missing out simple important tests
 * purporting to consider overly advanced rules, i.e. monotonicity
 * avoiding the mathematics of flats which is always avoided by you
   but probably never avoided by a person designing a preferential
   voting method but aiming to not expose a govt. public to unfairness
   if the method would be used.
 * having unfollowable arguments
 * claiming a pass occurred when that appears to be something that
   seems to be suspicious
 * failing to define the algorithm of the article
 * dropping in some anti-public nearly-ignored doctrines from Condorcet
   thinkers writings

In short, a method that won't have a place in history.

I made a possibly false asumption on how to interpret your ambiguity that
you put into the article (presumably because you were trying to censor
out a mention of the ghastly meritless unfair unjustified pairwise comparing
basis of it) and converted it to a a logic form. It was far too complex to
analyze precisely yet ti plain at the end that the number of winners it
found would probably be wrong.

>You wrote (20 Dec 2003):
>> (2) The method should not have some bias. This fails methods that ignrore
>>    the votes and pick the first (not best) candidate on a list the method
>>    receives.
>>
>>    Shulze's believed the count of the papers could be ignored and the number
      [i.e. Mr Shulze or Mr Shulze's PDF article]

>>    of voters could be counted. That is stupid and some people don't seem to
>>    be able to stop or explain themselves without pointing invalid assumptions.
>
>You will have to rephrase this, because I have absolutely no idea what
>you are talking about.

In the last message I replied to, Mr Forest Simmons had
votes generated by random numbers. In the Shulze article, "strictly prefer"
has the number of voters counted. So "Strictly prefer" is applying to
voters.

All the claims of goodness must have been a lie, because:
 (a) you proof of goodness is done but it used voters (suppose so)
 (b) Simmon's random numbers are used;
 (c) now your proofs can't conclude anything yet the numbers and the
      method is the same
 (d) If God was going to hit you with a lightening bolt if you had of
     used the word "Vote" instead of "Voter" then please do tell me
     about it. In the absence of similar, I'll assume you can't even
     think with a truthfulness that is up to the task of correctly
     distinguishing between a cat, rat, dog, photo of a man, and bit of
     paper.
 (e) I will say that I do not understand. First I must ask if the
    audience wanted the false claim that voters voted. However the
    arguments and proofs are not all true. I am not studying the
    text, since your purpose is to advance unfairness.