[EM] Floyd-Warshall algorithm - variations

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Fri Dec 19 11:33:02 PST 2003

Dear Ernest,

you wrote (19 Dec 2003):
> Even if we agree to use a graph, and a particular graph-traversal
> algorithm, there's still a couple different ways to do the counting
> (i.e., to define the 'best' path we're searching for).

"Beatpath Method", "Beatpath Winner", "Path Voting", "Path Winner",
"Schwartz Sequential Dropping", "Cloneproof Schwartz Sequential
Dropping", and "Schulze Method" are only different names for the
same method.

You wrote (19 Dec 2003):
> From looking at their math, it appears that Markus ("Schulze method")
> is recommending:
> a) shortest path
> b) relative wins
>
> while Mike ("beatpath") is recommending:
> a) strongest path
> b) absolute votes

We both are recommending strongest paths and absolute votes. There
is absolutely no difference between Mike's and my recommendation.

Markus Schulze