[EM] An urgent plea for your assistance -- this is NOT spam!]

David GLAUDE dglaude at gmx.net
Mon Dec 15 13:55:42 PST 2003

Does anybody here believe a vendor will make any effort to write clean,
standard, bug free, documented code if there is no reward for it, no
penalty for ugly non-verifiable code and only insider will have a look
at it?

Open Source, not Free Software (prefered) is the solution:
1) Only expert can read the code... 99.9% of the population must trust
the other.
2) Durring the election, there is no way to know what software do run in
the computer.

We have the code of Belgian e-voting system and we are unhappy with it:

http://www.afront.be/lib/vote.html
<<
Casual inspection off the code reveals obvious errors (3),(5) from which
we deduce scant peer review of the code, if any, has taken place. Nor do
we see evidence that somebody has tackled the problem of creating
entropy for the encryption keys (2). Also troubling is the fact that
keeping the voting anonymous isn't high on the priorities list: global
and stack variables are not zeroed after their useful lifetime has
expired (1).

1) You do NOT vote in secret.
2) Generating entropy is a detail left to the compiler, if at all.
3) Using variables outside their defined scope.
4) There's not enough space to write a 64-bit hash to the card, so only
24 bits get written.
5) another OBVIOUS error that has escaped peer review:

As computer scientist... the one I like best is
void Generate_Mav_Session ()
{
    randomize();                // initializes random number generator

    for( int i=0; i < DESKEYLEN; i++)
       mavSessionKey [i] = random( 10) + '0'; // '0' to '9' is possible

    mavSessionKey [i] = 0;
}

A real compiler should not accept that...
After the loop, "i" should be undefined.
So saying "mavSessionKey [i] = 0;" should not compile and if it is
compiled, then the behaviour is undefined and maybe unpredictable.

Will it be DESKEYLEN-1? DESKEYLEN? or DESKEYLEN+1? or it depend on stack
usage durring interrupt (IRQ).

David GLAUDE