[EM] a strategic problem and possible remedy for Condorcet-efficient voting methods

James Green-Armytage jarmyta at antioch-college.edu
Wed Dec 17 21:24:02 PST 2003

Dear election method fans,

	Below is a proposal for a voting procedure, preceded by a rationale for
that proposal, in sort of a paperish format. I hope that you find it
interesting.
	Also, I would greatly appreciate it if people could tell me whether
similar procedures have been proposed before.
	You see, I'm kind of thinking about trying to apply to graduate school
for economics in the next year or two. That's my big dream right now, and
they say that it's easier to get in if you have published something. So I
thought that I should try to publish something on voting methods, since
that's sort of related to economics, and I don't know as much about other
branches of economics. I have a few ideas that I want to try publishing,
but this is the first one that I want to pursue... unless it has already
been proposed! So if it has been, please let me know (and be gentle...),
but if not, please give me credit if you repeat the ideas elsewhere. Also,
if it is a viable subject I was wondering if you all could give me
feedback and help get it into some sort of publishable shape (It probably
needs to be much shorter!), and maybe some advice as to where to submit it
to.
	So, anyway, I will greatly appreciate your feedback either way.

my best,
James Green-Armytage

____________________

A Strategic Problem and Possible Remedy for Condorcet-Efficient Voting
Methods
by James Green-Armytage

	In designing a single-winner voting procedure for the purpose of majority
rule, I take it as axiomatic that it should always select a Condorcet
winner when one exists, since a Condorcet winner is preferred by a
majority over all other candidates.
	However, it seems that any ranked ballot vote processing rule that is
completely Condorcet efficient is also vulnerable to manipulation using a
strategy known as “burying,” or “offensive order reversal.”
	Let me try to illustrate this strategy using an example. There are 3
candidates: A, B, and C. There are 100 voters. The sincere preferences of
the voters are as follows:

46: A>B>C
44: B>A>C
5: C>A>B
5: C>B>A

	A is the sincere Condorcet winner, with no cycles present. However, B
voters can “bury” A on their ballots by voting him last, which produces
this result:

46: A>B>C
44: B>C>A
5: C>A>B
5: C>B>A

	The pairwise comparisons are as follows: