[EM] Cheering for simplicity

John B. Hodges jbhodges at usit.net
Sat Aug 30 14:03:11 PDT 2003

>Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 01:52:46 -0400
>From: Dave Ketchum <davek at clarityconnect.com>
>Subject: [EM] Cheering for simplicity
>
>(snip)
>        Public elections:
>             Executive - for a single winner.  These will continue to exist,
>but we need to get past Plurality, which most of us recognize as not
>deserving to live.
>                  I see this as IMPORTANT, and that Condorcet seems to
>provide a reasonable combination of power and simplicity.
>(snip)
>        What do other countries do - their successes and failures are worth
>noting.
>        Marrying single seat and PR methods?  Tempting but:
>             ONLY if single seat stays Condorcet.
>             PR method must be suitable for that task.
>
>Is Condorcet simple?  I claim YES, especially for the voter:

(JBH) I agree that Condorcet-type methods are (or can be) "simple
enough", and for single-seat elections they have a very persuasive
rationale. (I repeat, IMHO single-seat methods should be used only
where they are unavoidable; IMHO all legislative elections should be
done by some means of PR.)

My comments re. computational loads were directed specifically
against CPO-STV, which is an impressive method of PR conceptually but
which I doubt will be acceptable to the public because of its
computational complexity.

The big problem for promoters of Condorcet-type methods is the lack
of consensus on what to do when there is no Condorcet-winner. There
are many proposed Condorcet-type methods, each with its partisans.
Ranked Pairs and Beatpath seem to be frontrunners, but neither has
yet won general agreement.

My major point in the "simplicity" post was that simple systems are
much more likely to be saleable to the public, a necessary step if
they are ever going to be used. To do the sales job, Condorcet
advocates IMHO need to agree on one method, and need to offer a
persuasive rationale FOR it's way of picking a winner when there is
no CW.

There exists an organization actively promoting IRV and STV, and
there exists an organization for the promotion of Approval (though I
have never heard of any activity from it.) Does there exist an
organization for promoting some Condorcet-type method, and does said
org actually do anything?