[EM] Generalized Bucklin PR 2.3, basic PR examples

Olli Salmi olli.salmi at uusikaupunki.fi
Tue Aug 26 07:59:02 PDT 2003

At 14:08 -0400 23.8.2003, John B. Hodges wrote:
>SO: In this example, GB 2.3 seems to perform OK as a method of PR. I
>invite suggestions for harder cases.

It should work all right as a PR method, if I understood it
correctly. GB gradually changes preferential ballots into
non-preferential, or approval ballots if you prefer, so it should in
principle work very much like STV. If all ballots were
non-preferential, the method would be like the so called Phragmén's
first method, which was proposed in Sweden a hundred years ago as an
improvement to Andræ's method, except that Phragmén used the Hare
quota. I see no reason why a mixture of a preferential and a
non-preferential method shouldn't work.

I think it would also be possible to count the next preferences only
in the ballots that belong to the lowest candidate, instead of all
the candidates. So instead of elimination you count the next
preferences. The ballot is still transferable but you let the other
voters decide the order, within limits. I don't know how this
principle would work with IRV.

You could also reduce the value of votes according to the
d'Hondt-Phragmén method.

As for Bucklin, Norway uses a Bucklin-like method for ordering
candidates on the party list. The first candidate is the one with the
most first preferences, the second candidate is the one with the most
first and second preferences, and so on. I remember reading that this
method was used in Finland when the professors of the University of
Helsinki nominated three candidates from which the chancellor was
appointed. The system of proposing three candidates for appointment
was used in Sweden in the 18th century, so this method may have its
roots there.

Olli Salmi