[EM] Re: "More general 5-candidate IRV failure example"

Markus Schulze markus.schulze at alumni.tu-berlin.de
Mon Aug 25 05:13:04 PDT 2003

Dear Mike Ossipoff,

You wrote (25 Aug 2003):
> What's the difference? When you copy your authors so loyally,
> is there any significant difference between your positions &
> theirs? I considered it to be understood that a position stated
> by you is a quotation, whether explicit or not.

It is possible to discuss a paper without having to agree fully
with the author. Isn't it?

******

You wrote (25 Aug 2003):
> It isn't quite clear why you think Blake's terms are relevant
> here.
>
> Nurmi, and therefore, of course, you, consider compromising
> something that a method is "vulnerable to", which implies that
> you the compromiser to be thereby getting away with something
> that he shouldn't get away with, cheating the system somehow.
> Likewise in Plurality (FPP).
>
> IRV is also "vulnerable to compromising." Or, as the rest of us
> would say, IRV makes voters have to bury their favorite in order
> to keep their last choice from winning, as in Plurality.
>
> I doubt that said "shameful". But forget those names. If you have
> even a little honesty, you'll admit that you, copying your authors,
> believe that when someone compromises to protect majorilty rule,
> or to save the win of a CW, that they're attemptinlg something that
> they shouldn't be allowed to get away with. You call it "offensive
> strategy", and speak of vulnerability to it. Now, if you want t back
> down from your position, that's fine. In fact it would make more
> sense if you did. But that's no concern of mine.
>
> Look, you've stated your (Nurmi's) position on that, and I've
> commented on it. There's nothing more to add to that. Let's consider
> that topic concluded. If I don't reply to further unnecessary
> argument by you about it, that doesn't mean that you've said
> something irrefutable. It means only that I don't hjave time to
> reply to you on it forever. You did this on EM too. If you say
> something original and non-ridiculous, I might reply. Otherwise
> not.
>
> As I said, you call compromising, when it involves insincere voting
> that changes the outcome from the sincere result, an offensive
> strategy. When that stategy works, you say the method is "vulnerable"
> to it, with an implication that it would be better if a method weren't
> vulnerable to it. As I said, forget the name-words such as criminal, etc.
>
> You say that the Nader preferrer who votes Democrat to keep the Republican
> from winning is voting offensive strategy. Offensive against whom or what?
> But it gets funnier than that:
>
> Say it's Nader, the Democrat, & the Republican. Say you prefer Nader,
> and vote sincerely. No offensive strategizer you! But the Nader preferrers
> are numerous, and if they voted for the Democrat they could (offensively?)
> make him win instead of the Republican. You know that the Republican would
> win under sincere voting, but that some Nader people are going to vote
> Democrat. So you, a Nader preferrer, vote for the Republican--and you call
> that a defensive strategy :-)

Please read the above quotation from Nurmi again. Nurmi doesn't
say that compromising voters were "criminal," "cheating," "shameful"
or "dishonst." Neither did I say that compromising voters were
"criminal," "cheating," "shameful" or "dishonst."

You wrote: "When that stategy works, you say the method is 'vulnerable'
to it, with an implication that it would be better if a method weren't
vulnerable to it." When I say that compromising is a useful voting
behaviour e.g. under the MinMax method then this is primarily only
an observation. In my opinion, there can be quite honourable and
understandable reasons for a voter to compromise.

******

You wrote (25 Aug 2003):
> You're confusing "Condorcet's method" with "Pairwise-Count method".
> Condorcet's method is one of many pairwise-count methods, but most
> pairwise count methods are not Condorcet's method.

What makes you believe that I confuse "Condorcet's method" with
"Pairwise-Count method"?

******

You wrote (25 Aug 2003):
> You point out that Condorcet fails Participation and ask why
> I brought up Participation.
>
> A better question would be "Why shouldn't I?"
>
> At no time did I say that Condorcet passes the Participation
> Criterion. Why did I bring it up? Because it's a desirable
> criterion. That Condorcet fails Participation isn't a good
> thing. But Condorcet gives us important criterion coimpliances,
> such as SFC, GSFC, WDSC, SDSC, and those, in my opinion,
> outweigh its Participation failure. But IRV doesn't offer
> anything to outweigh its participation failure.

However, when you use IRV's violation of the participation
criterion as an argument against IRV and when you then suggest
Condorcet and Approval as possible solutions, then you should
at least mention that also Condorcet violates the participation
criterion. Otherwise, there is the danger that some readers get
the impression that you want them to mistakenly believe that
Condorcet passes the participation criterion.

Markus Schulze