[EM] Cheering for simplicity/Orphan

John B. Hodges jbhodges at usit.net
Fri Aug 22 16:18:02 PDT 2003

>  >The complaints against STV, as I recall, boiled down to "just like
>>IRV, STV will sometimes eliminate the wrong candidate". It is not
>>monotonic, so sometimes you get spoiler effects and perverse
>>incentives.
>>
>>The orphan method is one step more complicated than IRV/STV, but it
>>is still a "simple" method.
>>
>>SO: I am wondering what effects you would get if you applied the
>>orphan method's elimination rule to multiseat STV? How would the
>>results compare with "Sequential STV" or "CPO-STV", both of which are
>>complex and computer-dependent?  If the orphan method significantly
>>improves the performance of IRV, would it similarly reduce the
>  >complaints here against STV?
>  >----------------------------------
>  >John B. Hodges, jbhodges@  @usit.net

Some further comments. Most Condorcet-methods are "brute force"
computationally. The first thing they do is do all possible pairwise
comparisons. The multiseat method CPO-STV is likewise a "brute force"
method; for an N-seat race, it first enumerates all possible
n-candidate ensembles, then makes all possible pairwise comparisons
between them. (It somehow deduces from the voter's ballots ranking
individual candidates which of each pair of ensembles would be
preferred; I'm sure it also has some method of breaking ties and
cycles.)

By contrast, Rob LeGrand's "orphan" method does not do all possible
pairwise comparisons; it does only a minimal number of them. It is so
computationally efficient that it is within range of a hand count if
necessary.

Rob's "orphan" method is IRV with a different elimination rule;
instead of eliminating the last-place candidate, do a pairwise runoff
of the bottom two candidates and eliminate the loser. This is
sufficient to prevent IRV from eliminating a Condorcet-winner, which
in turn is enough to guarantee that it will pick the Condorcet-winner
if one exists.

I am not a computer-science major, but I have heard of the "traveling
salesman" problem and how it is computationally very expensive to
guarantee finding the ideal solution, to the point of being
practically impossible for large numbers of cities. But, I have also
heard, there are simple algorithms that will reliably get you "close"
to the ideal solution: for example, start where you are, and go to
the nearest city you have not yet visited; repeat until you have
visited all cities.

CPO-STV is an awesome multiseat method, conceptually. I'm wondering
if there is a computationally efficient way of arriving at the same
"ideal" ensemble. My "For Dummies" guess is that the ideal ensemble
will never include a Condorcet loser and will always include a
Condorcet-winner if one exists. STV with Rob's "orphan" elimination
rule would (I guess) be sufficient to do that much.
--------------------------------
>From: Markus Schulze
>Subject: Re: [EM] Cheering for simplicity/Orphan
>
>I suggest that when there are N seats then at each
>stage a plain vanilla STV count should be hold between
>the N+1 candidates with the lowest numbers of first
>preferences and the loser of this count should be
>eliminated.
>
>Markus Schulze

This is a fair multiseat analogy to Rob's single-seat elimination
rule, but I don't immediately see any logical connection to finding
the "ideal" ensemble (defined the same way as in CPO-STV.) I'd like
to hear more about this idea.
-------------------------------
The reason this topic is interesting, IMHO, is that IMHO for selling
a method to the American electorate, it would be advantageous to find
a "unified method", one where the same basic algorithm would apply
both to single-seat races and to multiseat Proportional
Representation. STV has this. Approval and Condorcet have it, sort
of, but their multiseat versions are so computationally expensive as
to be out of serious contention. The average voter is not a CompSci
major. They don't know how computers work, they don't WANT to know
how computers work; computers are mysterious, and every voter knows
they are also insecure. Methods that are computer-dependent are
therefore suspect as to their "legitimacy", a critical necessity.

I think "Generalized Bucklin" may meet the need for a relatively
simple version of multiseat PR for Approval. Granted it is Majority
Choice Approval, not plain Approval, but I think Approval advocates
should be able to live with that. The voter has the option of casting
a "plain Approval" type of ballot, and it would have the same effect
as under plain Approval.

Similarly I think it possible that STV with Rob's "orphan"
elimination rule, or some other method of about the same complexity,
could be a relatively simple version of Condorcet PR. IMHO it is
worth looking into.