[EM] Cheering for simplicity/Orphan

Adam Haas Tarr atarr at ecn.purdue.edu
Thu Aug 21 20:46:02 PDT 2003

This method isn't really that bad, but:

1) I don't think any serious Condorcet advocates think this is a better way to
resolve circular ties than ranked pairs or beatpath.

2) Since it is a Condorcet-compliant method, it shares all the weaknesses that
all Condorcet methods have in the eyes of the IRV advocates (i.e. the weak
center winner).  I don't think an IRV supporter would see this as a compromise.

3) Once you've had to explain the idea of a pairwise contest, is this method
really any simpler to explain than ranked pairs?  I don't think so.

In short, it's an interesting idea, but as soon as you pass the Condorcet
criteria you're far away from IRV-land.

-Adam