[EM] serious strategy problem in Condorcet but not in IRV?

Adam Haas Tarr atarr at ecn.purdue.edu
Thu Aug 21 13:57:03 PDT 2003

>		A buries	A truncates	A sincere
>B buries	C wins	C wins	B wins
>B truncates	C wins	C wins	AB equal
>B sincere	A wins	AB equal	AB equal

Truncation is a dominated strategy (it never beats sincerity).
So you can basically get rid of Truncation and just look at
burying vs. sincerity.

There are two Nash equilibrium.  Each involves one side burying,
and the other side truncating.  In these cases, neither side can
improve their odds by changing their strategy (one side has
guaranteed victory, and the other side can only make things
worse for itself).

Both sides have an incentive to claim they will bury, whether
they do or not.  Both sides have an incentive to bury, AS LONG
AS they think the other side will not.

Say you're an A supporter.  I'll denote your utility for A as
U_a, B as U_b, and C as U_c.  I'll denote the probability that B
voters will bury as T.  I'll denote your probability of winning
the sincere contest between A and B as P_a.  Your expected
return on burying is:

T(U_c) + (1-T)(U_A)

And your expected return on sincerity is:

T(U_b) + (1-T)(P_a*U_a + (1-P_a)U_b)

so, you should bury when the first number is bigger than the
second.

The ironic effect of this is that, if you really want everyone
to vote sincerely, the best thing is for everyone to loudly
proclaim that they are going to bury their second-favorite.
This way, nobody really has the incentive to bury (assuming they
do hate C).  If everyone promises to play nice, then you
actually have an incentive to backstab once you're behind the
curtain.

--------

Really, once you start talking about complex strategic options
like this, a lot of the voting theory arguments go out the
window.  IRV is basically equally vulnerable in this case, I
think.  The fact that you have to bury in a "more violent"
fashion is mostly irrelevant to any voter who is willing to
consider this sort of strategy.

-Adam