[EM] Query for Approval advocates

John B. Hodges jbhodges at usit.net
Wed Aug 20 06:13:02 PDT 2003

Greetings- I am continuing to explore Chris Benham's proposed voting
method, Generalized Bucklin. In the current version, in the
single-seat case it strongly resembles Majority Choice Approval,
except that there are as many possible ranks as there are candidates.

I know very little about MCA; in particular I don't know what you do
if no candidate gets a majority. I gather that first-rank votes are
tallied first, and if no one gets 50% approval then second-rank votes
are added, and so forth, just as in Generalized Bucklin. The question
I have is this: what if you STILL don't get a majority? For example,
what if there are many, many candidates, the electorate is pretty
close to evenly split, and everyone bullet-votes for their favorite?
I know it's a hard case; if everyone bullet-votes, all election
systems reduce to Plurality. But how, specifically, does MCA handle
the mechanics of it? Has anyone written a formal description of MCA?

Thanks-