[EM] The Coming California Single Seat Election

Alex Small asmall at physics.ucsb.edu
Tue Aug 19 19:31:03 PDT 2003

Dave Ketchum said:
> Perhaps some are losing sight of the goal, which is to decide which
> candidate shall get elected.
>
> In preparing to vote we can think of all the issues.  But then we need
> to  sort out which candidate(s) seem to best fit our desires, putting
> weight  on the various issues according to how we rate them.

Good point.  If we expect the electoral system engineers to do the hard
work of designing the "best possible" system that will deduce an
appropriate winner from the set of individual preferences, the least we
can ask of the citizens is that they resolve their personal cycles and
come up with a linear ranking before entering the voting booth.

But the question of whether a rational individual can have cyclic
preferences is still interesting from an academic standpoint.

Alex